Character creation rules
- The starting point value will be 400, disads to concept. While that may seem excessively low, there are plot reasons and it will go up rather quickly within the first session or two. As always, I retain the right to veto parts of a character as needed.
- The campaign starting location will be San Francisco, CA, but will move to Miami, Florida. The start date will be February 22nd, 2012 but will quickly advance to May (this will make more sense once in gameplay).
- For plot reasons, characters need to be connected through a gaming group. I will let the players sort the details out.
- No exotic or supernatural abilities please, it will save time since I will most likely veto it. If you feel that an exotic or supernatural ability would still be appropriate, ask me and I will let you know if it is acceptable, but please do so before adding it to your character.
Advantages & Perks
- For plot reasons, characters may not have social or location-specific advantages. This includes things such as Allies, Wealth, Rank, and so on.
- Cultural Familiarity: I am starting the campaign in the U.S. For native cultural familiarity, you should pick U.S. rather than some foreign area. If you don’t, you may have more difficulty in the campaign.
- Native Language: The campaign location is in Miami, so English is highly recommended as your native language. If you choose to have some other language as your mother tongue, that is your choice, so long as you can speak English.
Other common languages for Miami include Spanish, French, or Haitian Creole (which is based on French). The first is spoken by the Cuban population while the latter two are mostly spoken by the Haitian population.
Disadvantages & Quirks
- For plot reasons, characters are not allowed to have social or location-specific disadvantages. This includes things such as Enemies, Wealth, Secret, and so on.
- As noted with previous campaigns, there are certain disads that are culturally appropriate. I won’t force you to take them, but they are highly recommended. These include Easy To Read, Honesty, Noisy, Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents), Pacifism (Reluctant Killer), Sense of Duty (Friends or Family), and Truthfulness.
- As has been pointed out, quirks add a great deal of flavor to a character. Often these personality elements are manifested regardless, but adding them as quirks simply allows for easier tracking and reminders. I would suggest at least 10, but no more than 5 may be unassigned at the beginning. I am open to adding more through gameplay as the character evolves and changes over time. Any unassigned quirks that are not assigned by the third session will be removed.
- No skills are allowed at character creation that assists abilities, relies on abilities, or otherwise provides benefits that can be classified as exotic or supernatural. This includes an understanding of actual magic.
- Skills appropriate to someone of the age that the character starts as should be considered. Remember that someone still in or fresh out of school tends to have more array of skills than someone older who has let unused skills atrophy but has developed a deeper knowledge of the skills used in their work.
- For plot reasons, do not bother working on starting equipment. This will be better understood after the first session.
- You are welcome to peruse the web or this wiki for ideas (and prices) on things that you know your character will want to acquire. Front-loading this work will definitely help speed up gameplay when the time comes that your character will be acquiring new equipment and goods.